In today’s digital age, it is common for people to simply go to Google or other search engines for all kinds of requirements. So, if you are a small business owner it is imperative that you leverage the benefits of organic search that allows you to be found without having to pay (paid search) or invest in other advertising platforms. But there may be several questions in your mind about SEO ranging from is it possible to do SEO on your own, how beneficial it is to what it can do for your business.
If you are a business owner who is thinking of treading the SEO path, there are a few tips you can follow:
- Let On-Page SEO explain subject matter of the page in a simple manner : One common mistake people make is to put all their services on one page. For instance, if you are in the business of providing Beauty services, it is better not to put Facial, Hair Cut, Pedicure, Manicure etc on the same page. This way you can give proper information to visitors about a particular service and you can also build up the size of your website.
- Have shorter URLs:Shorter URLs are easier to remember for your target audience. They are also better for search engines to index. In fact, shorter URLs are known to perform a little higher in Google than longer URLs.
- Place your keyword in your URL:
If possible, you can place your main target keyword within the URL. For example, if ‘abc’ is your URL and ‘perfect match’ is your keyword, you can have something like this: abc.co.uk/your-perfect-match-keyword. This is found to be a great way to achieve better rankings.
- Use long tail keywords in titles:For instance, instead of using ‘Bike Scotland’, you can use the specific target keyword in the title, ‘Motorcross Bike Scotland Dealer’. This long tail keyword is a better way of cracking a competitive market. It will allow you to gain rankings much quicker and will help rank higher for your main more competitive target keyword ‘Bike Scotland’.
- Put different titles for each page: A common issue during site audits has been cases of duplicate titles for pages. This leaves readers confused because it’s like reading a book with the same title for every chapter. It is better to use unique titles for different pages since search engines will place it higher in the search results.
- Ensure your title tag is less than 60 words:Initially, Google had a limit for the Title Tag to 60 characters which was later changed to Pixels, with the limit put at 512 pixels. However, counting pixels is a little difficult which is why many still prefer counting the characters. While there is no definite data that says that number of characters in a Title Tag impact your Google rankings, some general evidence says it is possible.
- Make use of Title Tag Modifiers:Words and phrases that are used at the end of search terms are called Title Tag modifiers. For example, best carpenter, best carpenter near me, carpenter reviews etc. Adding these modifiers help the site to show up at the top of the page for search terms.
- Focus on in-depth, actionable content:If you want to present yourself as an industry expert, you are bound to have the knowledge to support your claim. Your content should definitely reflect that. Ensure that you have variety in content that explains in depth the point along with supporting data and research. The content also needs to do some value addition to the lives of the readers in terms of being worth referencing, sharing and even linking.
- Include LSI keywords in content:Latent Semantic Indexing means adding synonyms and related terms. This gives the search engines a better understanding of what the page is about and enhances the page’s subject authority.
- Put keywords in first 100 words:It is better to have your exact target keyword at the top of the content instead of at the end. This also helps audience be assured that the page is relevant to their search query when they land on it. You can also put your target keyword at the beginning of the Title Tag. Search engines give more weight on keyword terms that appear at the beginning of the Title Tag.
- Use enough images:The power of visuals cannot be overstated. Using images breaks up the monotony of the content and makes it easily readable.
- Make your content easy to share:If you make the process of sharing content easy for people, they will do it. If it’s not easy to share, chances are your content will not be seen, read or linked much by a bigger number of people.
SEO is a very efficient tool especially for small business who want to compete online. It can help you acquire customers, promote your brand and grow your business faster. But it has to be done diligently and patiently with proper thought on Product Page SEO. What tips do you follow for Product Page SEO?