Among the various marketing artifacts that can be utilized by organizations, the white paper has gained considerably as a preferred vehicle. This is so because the white paper aims to be an independent opinion about a specific issue or problem and refrains from doing direct sales/promotion of specific company or its products/services. But how to measure ROI from a white paper ?
It would seem a natural choice that a white paper needs to be a part of your marketing armoury. As with any other marketing initiatives, the question that you will be asked is How to measure ROI from a white paper ? Here are some simple steps that you could implement
- Offer it as a free download at your website as well as several other portals. The only requirement from the visitor is that he will need to fill in registration information. The number of downloads and the sources can give you some ideas about the success of the white paper campaign
- Make sure that your lead capture is not too exhaustive, that way you will ensure that the abandonment ratio at your website stays low and people continue to download the white paper that you have hosted
- Promote it in social media forums – Post about it on your linked IN updates, post it to relevant groups, tweet about its availability, post it your facebook fans. Doing all this will require multiple abstracts that you can use for the same white paper. Each campaign you run can have independent abstracts, so that users continue to believe that they are being treated to fresh content.
- Mention about it in your blog posts, any articles that you have recently edited. If you are attending an event/webinar, make sure you promote it there. Links from your blog posts will also get to your download area.
- If the number of downloads is a direct measure, increase in your website hits (from the average) also would be a good indication of the success of the white paper
Any other ideas in terms of How to measure ROI from a white paper – please feel free to comment Top secrets to get your white paper to generate demand for you
Atul is Founder & CEO at Xenia Consulting. He has over 22 years of experience in marketing, across corporates as well as SME,start-ups. Over the last 5 years, he has gained significant expertise and has helped several companies drive growth leveraging digital marketing